Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Spring and Hey, We Were In The Papers


Before I launch into my latest oh so fascinating blog entry, I want to wish everyone a happy spring! There is nothing like the transition of what seems like endless winter into the time when the world seems to blur a little around the edges, gets all soggy and muddy and little by little, greener and greener. It makes me feel all poetic. Anyhow. Yay for the vernal equinox! And most Happy Easter to you all. I'll post some easter photos soon.

Not that the seasons are all about me or anything, but 3 months from now is the wedding. Whew!

On to my story. At some point, Rob and I had to decide if we were going to announce our engagement in the newspapers. It's kinda fun to see the brides and grooms in print, etc. etc. However, being my thrifty (or is it cheap) self, I balked at paying $150 to put it in the local newspaper. Nonetheless, without meaning to, we still ended up in the paper, sortof!

Way back last fall when I was trying on somewhere around 850 dresses at the national chain of mostly affordable wedding gowns, a salesperson approached me saying someone The Boston Globe was on the line and wanted to speak to a "bride-to-be." I gulped at claiming that title, but gamely took the phone spoke to the reporter who was doing an article on whether or not men still ask for their girlfriend's hand in marriage from her parents . I gave the reporter my take on things, she asked for Rob's contact info to speak with him and that was that. I didn't think to ask where or when this might appear and mostly forgot about it.

Lo and behold, a few days later on the front page of the Boston Globe, this article appeared with Rob's words of wisdom included at the very end! Whoa. Apparently this article caused a mini firestorm of controversy on various discussion boards. I didn't feel that much drama about the whole thing, although I certainly have my opinions and approaches to some of the, er, shall we say, more paternalistic aspects of the whole wedding kit and kaboodle. I'm not going to go into them here out of lack of time, space, and I'm not sure this is the right forum for it. And in the end, every woman has to figure out her own way to walk down the aisle -- literally and metaphorically. (You'll have to wait for the wedding to figure out which one I choose). '

Oh and as for landing on the front page with this story, I'd say that's a pretty slow news day!

No comments: