Monday, March 10, 2008

The Other Side of the River: Or, All It Takes Is One Cupcake Bakery and I'm Yours


The area south of Boston, locally referred to as the "South Shore" is Rob's native stomping grounds. Born in Quincy and then lots of time in Milton, Duxbury, Kingston and Braintree, the South Shore feels like home to him. This is part of why Plymouth seemed a good fit for the wedding. All of Amy's 10 years in Boston has been on the northern part of the city on the other side of the river. Not the North Shore exactly (that would be much further north), but Somerville and Cambridge, maybe Brookline and Arlington were places around here that Amy came to claim as her own, as places where she knew the nooks and crannies.


So as I (can I switch to first person now?) get to know Rob's home, and we start planning and creating our lives together on the South Shore where Rob owns his home, I've been slowly (and at times, I will admit, reluctantly), getting to know Braintree and Hingham and Quincy and Weymouth. Some of these towns I'd never even heard of while living less than 5 miles or so north. I really liked north of the city. I was suspicious of this South Shore thing. Who were these people and why were they living here when Somerville was obviously so cool? Is this just a big suburb with lots of malls or is there more? I wasn't sure.


Little by little, I'm finding my places down here. I really like the local library -- always a good place to orient oneself. I've figured out how to get to the local UU church on my own. The grocery store, post office and gas station are now less daunting journeys. It's funny how long it took me to get comfortable -- I think I assumed that it would be just another section of Boston but it feels like a different part of the country to me. And there are a few places I'm pretty excited about. The Talbot's Outlet for one, is pretty fun to visit, especially with CF. I love the wooded walking paths at Pond Meadow. There's a decent Mexican place we can actually walk to. I've found a natural foods store in Quincy that I think I like better than the big natural food chains. Rob and I found a fun Asian hotpot soup place in Quincy which we are always trying to convince our friends to try. And you can't forget the ocean is much closer to here than it is in Somerville. Finally, lo and behold, a bakery called Babycakes, specializing in cupcakes. The one above is a chocolate caramel cupcake, perfect for um, breakfast.


Little by little, it's growing on me, this new old world.

No comments: